WHAT IS SECURE FILE TRANSFER?
Secure File Transfer Definition
Secure file transfer is data sharing via a secure, reliable delivery method. It is used to safeguard proprietary and personal data in transit and at rest. Most secure file sharing methods use standard protocols, including:
- Secure File Transfer Protocol (SFTP)
SFTP transfers files with the Secure Shell (SSH) connection – SFTP is an encrypted network protocol that can enable a remote login to operate over a network that lacks security. SFTP offers encryption of commands and data. It also prevents passwords and sensitive information from open transmission over the network.
- File Transfer Protocol – Secure (FTPS)
FTPS offers encryption and uses an application layer wrapper, known as Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) to enable secure and private communications across a network.
- Hypertext Transfer Protocol – Secure (HTTPS)
HTTPS secures websites when users are providing sensitive information like credit card numbers or other personal information. The protocol offers multiple layers of data protection including data integrity, encryption, and authentication.
- Applicability Statement 2 (AS2)
AS2 is a standard used to transfer Electronic Data Interchange (EDI) messages and other data in real time. The AS2 protocol facilitates the ability to exchange AS2 EDI messages and other types of data over the HTTP or HTTPS protocol.
WHY YOU NEED A SECURE FILE TRANSFER METHOD
Simply having the capacity to transfer a file from one location to another isn’t enough. Businesses today face multiple security threats and a highly competitive environment. They need a secure file transfer system to protect and reliably transfer their sensitive, business-critical data.
It’s imperative that your business use a secure file transfer system that can move your data securely and efficiently, regardless of file size, file transfer volume, or complexity. A managed file transfer (MFT) solution, on-premises or in the cloud, provides a platform for secure file transfer.
The right secure file transfer solution can help an organization facilitate:
- Data Security - Left unprotected, data in transit or at rest can be a huge risk for a breach. Using secure file transfer protocols safeguards sensitive information and helps avoid data breaches.
- Automated Processes - File transfer automation helps ensure accuracy and saves time, eliminating the reliance on less accurate and time-consuming manual file transfers.
- Compliance - Many organizations struggle to meet government- and industry-regulated compliance such as HIPAA, HITECH, PCI, SOX, GDPR, and more. A secure data transfer solution makes facilitating and maintaining compliance easier by providing security monitoring and controls, auditing and reporting capabilities, and more.
SECURE FILE TRANSFER THROUGH MFT
Using a secure file transfer service, such as an MFT solution, is an essential part of data security best practices. The right solution will provide:
- Encryption for data in motion and at rest
- Protection from unauthorized data modifications
- Strong authentication methods
- Virus scanning and DLP
- Reporting and Logging capabilities
- Automation capabilities
Learn about Globalscape’s MFT technology, Enhanced File Transfer™ (EFT™), offered as an on-premises software, in a hybrid (on-premises and cloud) platform, in the cloud, and as a SaaS or managed service. Try EFT.
What is Managed File Transfer (MFT)?
In this article, learn what makes up the secure file transfer system called “Managed File Transfer” (MFT). Find out what makes MFT secure and how it helps users overcome common challenges like shadow IT, data silos, compliance requirements, and more.
Managed File Transfer Buyers Guide
In the Managed File Transfer Buyers Guide, learn the steps required to vet an MFT vendor and platform, how to assess your existing file transfer system, and more.