WHAT IS ENTERPRISE SECURE FILE SHARING?
Learn what secure file sharing for business is, and what to look for in enterprise secure file sharing software.
Enterprise secure file transfer is data exchange via a secure, reliable delivery method. It is used to safeguard proprietary, sensitive, and personal data in transit and at rest. Most secure file transfer methods use standard protocols that provide encrypted file transfer.
How Does Secure File Sharing Work?
Secure file sharing is a protected method of transferring data between users or organizations. Whether you are sending one file or a group of files, secure file sharing software uses encryption and restricted authorization to help ensure data security and privacy. This provides businesses with a safe way to transmit business-critical files to users inside and outside of a corporate network.
Top Four Secure File Sharing Features for Business
To identify the right secure file sharing solution for business, you need to understand your enterprise’s current data, including the type, size, and volume of the data you expect to manage. Many businesses have several data sources and remote locations with which they exchange data, including secure file sharing with clients. An effective secure file sharing system will help you centralize the management of file sharing, which will improve data security as well as operational efficiency.
The right enterprise secure file sharing service provides the following benefits:
1. Empowers users with easy-to-use, robust features and functionality
- Fully customizable for advanced levels of control, efficiency, analytics, and reporting
- Shares files of any kind via any web browser
- Provides all users with access to edit, upload, and download both folders and files
- Anytime, anywhere access to files enables employees to be productive from any location and with most mobile devices
- Learn more: Are Consumer File Sharing Tools the Biggest Threat to Your Enterprise?
2. Gives IT full control and visibility
- Provides permission controls and operational visibility for enhanced network and data security like, 128-bit SSL encryption in transit or 256-bit AES encryption at rest
- IT administrator can maintain full control and visibility over who can access, edit and update folders or files. This can enable collaboration while reducing security vulnerabilities.
- Watch the Webinar: Take Control of Unsafe File Sharing
3. Supports compliance controls
- Secure file sharing software solutions can offer controls and features that help facilitate compliance with mandates such as PCI DSS, HITECH, SOX, HIPAA, or GDPR, including security tools, auditing, and reporting capabilities.
- Watch the Webinar: How to Prevent Unauthorized File Sharing in Globalscape EFT
4. Reduces likelihood of shadow IT
- End-users often take matters into their own hands and employ unsanctioned applications when an efficient, sanctioned alternative is not available. This means they could be using unsecure, outdated, and noncompliant file transfer methods. By providing a user-friendly secure file sharing solution to your organization, you can reduce the likelihood of shadow IT.
- Learn more: File-Sharing Workarounds Put Sensitive Data at Risk
Additional Secure File Sharing Resources
Secure ICAP Gateway
Add a layer of protection to your file sharing when you use Secure ICAP Gateway. Ensure no sensitive data is sent to external users, and reduce your risk of inadvertently sharing information outside of your preauthorized users.
FTP is no longer the most secure way to share files. When your file transfer needs become more complex, an FTP alternative can help you better manage your data.
Enterprise File Synchronization solutions can help IT organizations address the crucial need to take control over how employees are accessing and sharing corporate data within the IT infrastructure.